Rotary Club of Sebastopol Social Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Harvey Henningsen

How to make Home made hand cleaner using Everclear? Empty How to make Home made hand cleaner using Everclear?

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 pm
I was slow getting to the stores to get hand sanitizer, the shelves were bare.
Yesterday I picked up a bottle of Everclear 120 proof cuz the guy stocking the l shelves said it made an excellent base for making hand sanitizer. He did not know the formula. Does anyone in the club have one to share.............hh
Ken Jacobs

How to make Home made hand cleaner using Everclear? Empty Re: How to make Home made hand cleaner using Everclear?

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:58 pm
Harvey, it has to be 60% alcohol minimum to sanitize, so at 120 proof just use it as-is. Put some in a spray bottle with a couple drops of lemon to sanitize your hands, and put the rest in a glass with orange juice to drink. Or just use soap and water for your hands and mix it all with orange juice.
Admin
Admin
https://rcsebastopol.forumotion.com

How to make Home made hand cleaner using Everclear? Empty maybe not a good idea?

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:03 pm
From a search on line, most reputable newspapers recommend AGAINST homemade solutions (unknown effectiveness). They cite the CDC that says soap and water is the most effective. The chemistry and math involved is very complicated to get it to match CDC guidelines

I don't know anything about DIYnatural, but they posted this recipe.....use at your own risk (and please don't have confidence it will be effective):

Yield 4 ounces
Arm yourself with this softly-scented natural homemade hand sanitizer.

Ingredients
5-10 drops lavender essential oil (where to buy 100% pure lavender EO)
30 drops tea tree essential oil (find 100% pure tea tree EO here)
3 ounces high-proof vodka (we use Everclear), or rubbing alcohol can be substituted (Dan note: Alcohol can be diluted as much as 50% with this process)
1 ounce pure aloe vera gel (where to buy 100% pure aloe vera gel)
ΒΌ teaspoon Vitamin E oil (helps soften hands!)
Instructions
Add essential oils and Vitamin E oil to a small glass bowl or container and swirl to mix.
Add alcohol to the oils and swirl again.
Combine this mixture with the aloe vera gel and mix well.
Shake gently before each use. (Sanitizer should last several months with the addition of Vitamin E and alcohol to help preserve.)
Pam Graber

How to make Home made hand cleaner using Everclear? Empty Just be careful

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48 pm
My understanding is that when making DIY hand sanitizer, it's difficult to make it sufficiently strong, but not so strong that it won't irritate (or worse) your skin. So just be careful and know that soap and water handwashing is really the best way to kill hand bugs. Who wants a bunch of slimy dead viruses on their hands anyway? Mad
Tom Boag

How to make Home made hand cleaner using Everclear? Empty Make you own hand sanitizer?

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:36 am
Agree with using soap but I did read you can make using 90 percent IsoPropyl Alcohol plus Aloe Gel. If you can obtain these then mix so your mix comes out 70 percent alcohol or higher. Understand Aloe is like hand cream to keep your hands from drying, cracking. Must avoid cracking skin as that would seem to increase risk.
I have not tried making this mix yet because I still have few small bottles hand sanitizer.
One place to be careful of is gas pumps - Use disposable gloves or plastic bags when handling anything like pump handle, touch screen.
Sponsored content

How to make Home made hand cleaner using Everclear? Empty Re: How to make Home made hand cleaner using Everclear?

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum